Friday, January 12, 2024

Mrs. Evans: A Stream of Conscious Thought

I’m just going to keep it real.  I love the Slice of Life.  I love the concept of having people engage in authentic writing.  I love that adults are modeling the joy that writing can bring and how it creates a sense of community.  I love reading people’s entries.  I love that we are doing this at SQL.

Except……  for some reason, I’m having a difficult time figuring out what to write (which is very curious to me).  I pride myself on being a competent writer.  My work is seen publicly on a weekly basis with staff and families.  There is no real rational justification for my hesitancy.  It’s me being trapped in my head, over-thinking things, and making a simple task way more difficult than it has to be (for people who know me aren’t really surprised).

So I’m following my own advice and just starting the task - writing whatever comes to mind and trust that initiating will help me.  I’m reminding myself that it doesn’t have to be a watermelon size share, it can be a seed ~ a small moment that had an impact on me.  

I’ve got it!  This winter recess was one of my favorites.  It was low-key and filled with spending time with family and good friends.  It was low-pressure and just what I needed.  I got to spend a lot of time hanging out with Emily and just enjoying being in each other’s presence ~ sometimes chatting and sometimes just laying on the couch and being in the same room while watching TV or scrolling through social media on our phones.  

While we were lounging, Emily asked me for her phone that was on the coffee table.  As I handed it to her I noticed her wallpaper.  She had a collage of pictures of her and her friends.  Some were of high school girlfriends and others were of her new crew from college.  It brought a smile to my face seeing her happy and loved the variety of people and settings that she captured.  As I gave Emily her phone, one picture in particular caught my eye.  There was an image of me and her from vacation last summer.  I know that it may seem like a trivial thing in the grand scheme of the world, however, I can’t tell you how much it meant to me that I actually made her wallpaper.  It gets me a little choked up just thinking about it.  It really is true, sometimes it's the smallest things that have the biggest impact and the most important things in life are your relationships.  

The End

PS  I highly recommend signing up for the Slice of Life.  It wasn’t really nearly as scary once I started and it was a lovely memory to relive.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mrs. Meehan- Closing Thoughts

  Hi everyone,  Thank you for writing and reading slices throughout the month, and if you were a commenter, an extra thank you!  I’ve loved ...