Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Mrs. Devita- Joy

Often, people will set resolutions for the upcoming year at the beginning of January.  Resolutions can be disenchanting though because people tend to work towards their resolution for a few months and then get bored of them. This year, I decided to not make a resolution because I often get frustrated with myself when I don’t meet them. Yet, I still wanted something to set forth my intentions for the year.  As I was listening to a podcast on my ride to school on January 2nd, the host explained that she also was tired of resolutions and instead was choosing a word to hopefully exemplify her year for 2024. This stopped me in my tracks, and I thought to myself, “I know with 100% confidence that I want my word to be JOY for 2024”. 

The Webster dictionary defines joy as  “the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires.”  When I think of joy I think of the moments, the experiences, the people, and places that bring joy into my life.  Whether it’s playing with my niece or nephew, having dinner with friends, reading a fantastic new book, or going to the beach-- these are the things that I have always associated with bringing me joy.

Then the other day when I was running my weekend errands, I made my usual stop at an independent bookstore in the area (this time the House of Books in Kent) and the feeling of joy was exhilarating.  I never realized how much joy my monthly visits to an independent bookstore bring me.  It’s not just the new books or the beautifully crafted shelves; it’s the moment to escape into another world for a short amount of time.

As I walked through the bookstore, I began to pick up stories that stood out to me: Stanley Tucci’s My Life Through Food, a memoir on Carolyn Bessette Kennedy titled CBK: My Life in Fashion, and the fiction novel The Midnight Library that Sarah and I had just discussed the previous week. I carefully slid these books into my READ canvas tote and continued my journey to the children’s section.  

The children’s section is my Mecca at a bookstore, and it is not because I am a Language Arts Consultant or teacher.  Children’s books offer us a glimpse into our past, a visual display of imagery to teach us new and exciting information, and a storytelling method that keeps a visual learner like me engaged and nourished. What brings me the most JOY from this section though is the visual reminders of former students and their journeys as I taught them.  The sign for the final Amulet makes me think of Cade and his passion for Fantasy Graphic Novels. The Elephant’s New Shoe makes me think of Brooke who passionately raised money for an Elephant Sanctuary in Africa every year. I Want 100 Dogs makes me think of Molly and the informational and persuasive pieces we wrote to her parents so that she could finally get a dog (Our persuasive piece won them over!), and The Invisible Boy makes me think of Kate, a girl who fought so hard to be seen. 

As I checked out of the bookstore that day, you could have seen joy radiating off of me.  It wasn’t the joy of the fact I realized that independent bookstores could bring me JOY in 2024, it was the joy of thinking fondly of my former students and realizing that the students we teach often have a lasting impact on ours.

What will your word be for 2024?


1 comment:

  1. Love picturing you in the books, and also that you have a word! Mine is time for the year... Trying to spend less of it on NY Times games!

    ReplyDelete

Mrs. Meehan- Closing Thoughts

  Hi everyone,  Thank you for writing and reading slices throughout the month, and if you were a commenter, an extra thank you!  I’ve loved ...