Monday, January 8, 2024

Mrs. Pomeroy: A Great Day

 My husband bought a second snowmobile. He didn’t need a second snowmobile, and he wasn’t even sure that he wanted to keep the one he bought. It sat quietly, unridden in our basement for months, that is until today.


Twelve inches of sparkling white powder fell overnight, the first “real” snow of the season. My boys couldn’t wait to go outside and play, and at 7:01 AM we were digging through snow clothes to make sure we all had the proper attire for a snow day. 


Tucker was first out the door, Lucas was close behind. They trudged through knee-deep powder to the swingset and had a blast flying down the snow-covered slide. Lucy leapt and pawed at the snow just as any good dog should. We lugged the sleds out of the basement, and tried to plow a path down the hill, but to no avail. It was then that I remembered the snowmobile in the basement. We took a little spin around the yard, but decided to go for a longer ride later in the day. 


After lunch, I got to take my first solo trip on the new snowmobile. We rode with my brother-in-law, niece, and nephew. I snaked through the woods, following their path, over uncovered rocks and under trees heavy with snow. My throttle control was terrible-at times I felt like an inexperienced rider of a Buckin’ Bronco, but made it through unscathed. The farmers’ fields, however, gave way to smooth speed on snow super-highways. I am in no way a good rider-not nearly as good as my husband, his brother, my niece and nephew, or even as good as I imagine my boys to be when they grow older. But I sure did have fun!


The rain is set to come later this week. No doubt it will turn my twelve inches into a slushy flood-winters are no longer what they were in the ‘80s and ‘90s-but, whatever happens with the weather, January 7 was a pretty great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mrs. Meehan- Closing Thoughts

  Hi everyone,  Thank you for writing and reading slices throughout the month, and if you were a commenter, an extra thank you!  I’ve loved ...